Watching Nature

Monday, 4 August 2025

The Bath Saga

 This story starts way back when I had my bathroom renovated and the bath removed. It was then positioned beside the ramp at my back door and became a lovely pond. But it really needed a clean out. When cleaning it out we noticed the enamelling was peeling so needed a pond liner but I also really wanted to move it to my new arch garden.


All the pots of waterplants joined Surrey and Geoff's black waterplant garden up past the second carport while things happened.


Following a visit by Alex and Luke and Geoff they were able to move the bath to the new area so that I could think about where it was actually going to go. It is an ancient cast iron bath so no mean feat to move.


Using Egyptian style rollers and levers I was then able to change the angle of the bath but I could not slide it into position. I dug the ditch ready for it but then enlisted the help of Geoff to slide it into position.


He levelled it by jumping on the rim where needed and even though it does not look level in the photo below, it is.


Cathy and I bought a pond liner last week and draped it in temporarily. We have not finished neatening it on the outside but it was able to catch some of that horrendous rain we have had over the last week. I then filled it with water from my very full tanks.

Today I added some of the pots back from the far black pond and installed the solar pump and filter. I am hoping that it will have enough sun to actually work the pump.


When I am sure it is working I will position the solar panel so it is not quite so obvious and of course there will be neatening of the outside and some garden plants to hide  the black plastic.

However, at least now I can leave it to settle and  do the finishing touches when I can next get around to it. As you can see from the photo, the water is absolutely level. Hooray!

Thank you to all those friends and family who helped with this mammoth task.

2 comments:

  1. Looking good, Betty. Would you like some Ceratophyllum for the pond? Nice, rootless native - I've got plenty of it. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a task and a half. Great teamwork. I’m sure your plants will settle in nicely.

    ReplyDelete