Watching Nature

Saturday, 30 August 2025

Frogs, tads, watersnails, sheds and chooks

 I've only been home from my trip for a week and it has been really hectic.

First Alec helped me to catch all the wildlife in the far back pond and transfer it to my new pond (aka the bath).





Then one night he went out to the bath and found copulating frogs and the next day there were lots of frogs eggs.



This all meant we could empty the far pond and get the site ready for the garden shed. 


So then it was time to call in the team. First Graham came then Cathy to help put the 6 panels together - a roof, two sides, a back, a front and a door.




Then the wind come up and we've been unable to actually erect the shed but I've booked up Alec for Monday if it is a still day.

I've started scattering all the odd bags of soil and compost into the arch garden. Cathy and I put a few stepping stones around the bath so we can get to it. Then we transplanted the red plant below which looks fabulous with the sunlight behind it.


Elaine brought me tonnes of violet plants which I have planted around the top of the arch garden. I do hope they take.

This morning I bit the bullet and drove to Enfield to buy 3 young silkies. They are about 16 weeks old and vaccinated. Alec came with me and before we actually had them in the car he had already named them Snowy, Ash and Ranga! I love it. I think he is enjoying living on my 'farm'. With these 3 colours I will be able to tell them apart from my old lady browns.

This meant that I had to fix the broken chook feeder and fill it again and tonight I will put the new family members to bed with the others. It does mean that all the chooks will have to be left locked in their shed for a week or so until they become familiar with their housemates and routine.

Wish me luck with these newbies.

Now to just get the shed finished for the next step in the garden projects.

1 comment:

  1. It’s all happening at your place. The perfect time of year to get the new gardens established. Fingers crossed it is a still day on Monday.

    ReplyDelete