Watching Nature

Wednesday, 30 July 2025

The shredding Saga

 A few month or so ago my sister-in-law died leaving a lot of papers for her executors and other family to sort. Much of it was recycled but an archive box full of papers to shred was presented to me last Sunday. I have used every spare moment to do the job.

The chooks now have fresh shreds as bedding in their nests and the compost tumblers have been topped up with shreds.


I have an old garbage bin full for next time when the chooks dirty this lot.


And I have 5 bags and the original archive box full as well. Maybe we'll use them as fire lighters at Underhill?


All is now done.

I have also been given about 5 archive boxes of photos, slides and photo albums to scan and have started on the first one. Last Wednesday I did about 500 photos.

So if you are wondering what I am doing lately those jobs have been allocated 1 day per week.

I might be finished by Christmas but who knows.

This has made me only too aware of the need to sort and downsize before I can't actually do it any more. That will be an ongoing task. Quite a few of my friends are currently clearing out their parents' STUFF and it can be a real issue.

So start yours today by 
  • putting aside time every week for such tasks
  • not buying a house big enough to store it all forever
  • regularly doing a declutter
  • start in one nearly tidy corner and work outwards from there
  • writing on the backs of your photos - names, dates, places etc
  • not putting photos in 'sticky' albums
Good luck.


1 comment:

  1. That is quite a task. At least my parents were good at writing on photos and I was too…..when we printed photos. I have a lot of Mum’s belongings here and didn’t feel I could get rid of things while she was alive. Once I’m allowed to do things again there will be some sorting through.
    As for all the other items on your list…. I fail on all. Maybe I should take some baby steps.

    ReplyDelete