Watching Nature

Thursday, 1 May 2025

Underhill at last

 I have not been to Underhill since January, just before my hip op.

Kerrie and I went down overnight and have now arrived home.

With all the rain we've had lately I was worried about the drive being too boggy so called in to see Cal on the way just to let him know we might be needing a rescue. We also found out how to order some gravel to put down so I must get on to that. It turned out that I did get in and out OK but it is dodgy after rain.

We spent most of our time on Wednesday burning off all the dead stuff that had been cleared to keep the clearing open. We also did a lot of weeding of eucs, casuarina and acacia that seem to be doing really well in the clearing with all the rain. I did nearly 12000 steps with that job. I also took the rotten cushions and upholstery off one of our easy chairs.

Today we did a lot of tidying around the trailer 



This means that Geoff will now be able to edge trim in that area.

I pruned the blackberries from outside their designated area and Kerrie took them over to the next fire site


and then we pruned and pulled weeds around the toilet shed and tank. There are one or two thicker bits that will need the little chain saw.



We stockpiled all these weeds in the top clearing ready for a big burn next time we are down.


Of course Autumn is the time for fungi. We did find a few...




The medlars are plentiful but not ready to harvest yet.

Next time we go down there will be lots more burning off to do but another job will be to empty all the paraphernalia out of the toilet sheds as most of it could be either burned off or taken home for the rubbish bins. The toilet shed is really rotten with termites so it is time to rethink that.

Thank you Kerrie for coming with me and helping so much with all the jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment