Watching Nature

Monday, 2 October 2023

Kitchen Renos #9 - Life in my tiny retirement unit

 While the kitchen renos are going on I am living in the front of the house only. I do not really have access to the back of the house (i.e. beyond the hall door) except via the back gate. I also do not have access to upstairs or the two back bedrooms or dining room.

In my lounge room I have my pantry needs on an extra set of shelves, a tiny table to use as a dining table or prep area, and all my hand-sewing stacked on one of the arm chairs. There is sitting area for me to watch TV and for one or two visitors if they don't mind being cramped.


In the study I have stashed lots of stuff and I also have my microwave in there. Access to the shelves and filing cabinets is very limited.


In my bathroom I have my fridge and a little "washing up" station which I move out of the shower when I need to wash myself. Luckily I had a shower stool to put the washing up bowl on so I don't have to kneel on the floor to wash up.


The stair case is completely curtained by floor to ceiling plastic sheeting but I had a peek around it and the amount of dust settling in there is amazing. I am so glad Cathy and I spent ages covering as much as we could upstairs with sheets  before all this started. The foot prints on the stairs are there because I had to ask one of the builders to turn off the 2-way stair light which, when the switch downstairs was disconnected it was left on upstairs. I did not notice that for 2 nights and wondered what the orange glow was that was coming through the little window in the blue door.

If I ever need to move into a retirement village I'll need to be quite frugal in my needs but I really hope that is never the case. I like my home and have it quite "elderly friendly" so I should be able to stay in it. 

I really miss the quick access to my garden and my ability to go outside with my cuppa or just to do a little weeding or produce picking. Just collecting the eggs and feeding the chooks each day is an adventurous trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment