Watching Nature

Thursday, 19 October 2023

Kitchen Renos #15 - Meanwhile

For the last few days there has been no building work progress so as I was at home I decided to start clearing dressers from the back room ready for floor sanding. However, I had stored lots of things in those dressers because I did not think they'd be sanding the back floor.

As I was unloading the stuff and moving it into my tiny "apartment" I noticed that the dressers would need a good sand and oil. Why not do that messy work while they were out in the messy end of the house? I had also noticed that some of the cut surfaces on the new kitchen bench top needed sealing before they were installed permanently so I asked the builder if I could be doing this. He came to inspect and over an hour later we had sorted lots more timber from the garage for wainscoting, high shelves and skirting boards and measured it all to check that I have enough. All good. He also made a long list of shopping and jobs to do and will let me know when things will start happening again.

Lots of sanding and oiling later I am really noticing how good the pieces look after a bit of TLC.

The first piece to tackle was the top of the old 'letter bench'. Once I'd done the top surface I noticed that the figured strip really showed up as not done. I am slowly working my way along those indents with a tiny paint brush. Burnishing will not happen in the grooves but the oil should soak in enough not to remain sticky. The counter top is beautiful and silky after much burnishing. Unfortunately I am having to do it all by hand.


The tall kitchen dresser really looked quite dried out so I started on it. The darker area on this side (below) is the new finish, the paler area has only been sanded and wiped - such a difference. I could not start until someone came to help lift the things from the very top of the unit but Jen was able to come once she had dropped the girls at school.


I am now in the process of taking off doors and other bits on the tall dresser and will need to wait until someone can help lift the top section off so I can do the counter top surface. Meanwhile I'll get all the fiddly bits done.

During all this process I have been dog-sitting Coco again and she just loves my dressing gown. Ha Ha!

Neither of us like the smell and stain on my hands but I'll have a shower and all will be much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment