Watching Nature

Tuesday, 24 October 2023

Kitchen Renos #17 - The start of week 5

 This week will be completely taken over with the floors.

Yesterday I was up early to oil the kitchen bench so that the splash-back could be put on.

Then lots of builders arrived for various tasks 

  • Berto to fix a section of cracked render
  • Alan to fix a few holes in the ceiling
  • Andreas to start the cleaning up of the junk on the floor and continue sanding the architraves
  • Joseph to start the splash-back carpentry
  • Nathan to check for issues and measure for the pantry fittings.
All was going well and Joseph was the only one left. Geoff and Ivy visited and we went to The Fork for lunch.

When we arrived home. Joseph was gone (apparently a family emergency) and the floor man was there wondering what to do with all the junk.

Eventually the team arrived back to finish clearing up and to reinstall the orange curtain around the stairs. Now I can't get upstairs again. Geoff has lent me a robotic vacuum cleaner for up there and it does a fantastic job but unfortunately got stuck so has switched itself off and I can't get up there to fix it.

I got home late last night and found the back floor sanded and you can't even tell which boards are the new boards out there.

Today the floor man has sanded the kitchen-pantry floor and filled all the nail holes and other cracks and defects.

It has been a really noisy few days so today I went for a long walk until I got too hot then went next door to have lunch and watch a bit of TV. I also had a bit of quiet time to listen to my current audiobook.

Soon there will be more horrible noise as I would presume it will all have to be sanded again before it is varnished.

I won't be able to walk on it for a few days after it is finished and am hoping the furniture can be moved back in out of the front of the house on Monday.

Luckily I'll be out for a few days now so won't feel so frustrated about the lack of space and peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment