Watching Nature

Wednesday, 9 September 2020

Dressing back on again

 When I woke this morning I was not happy with my hand. It was quite red and a little swollen and numb in places near the tip of my finger. Once the hand therapy opened I rang and they got me an appointment today.


When I showed the therapist the hand he said "I'm glad you came today!"


He explained that when dissolving stitches don't dissolve the body reacts as if they are infection to try to get rid of them. It is not a germ infection but looks like it.

He proceeded to remove all the remaining stitches and lots of dead skin around the wound and even as he did so my hand became more flexible. It is now much better looking and feels as though it might heal.

However, I now have it dressed again and can't get it wet. I will go back on Friday to check all is well still. I can still do my exercises but not the scar massage I had been doing. I can still touch type so not all is lost.

The therapist was saying that after leaving him I should go to see the surgeon, just half a block away, and have him look at it then come back for a dressing. But while I was having all this done the surgeon walked in and was able to look there and then. I still had to go to collect an antibiotic script but also was able to deliver the package from the hand therapist that the surgeon came down to request.

I am full of admiration for them all and the way they treat my hand like a precious object (which of course it is).

No comments:

Post a Comment