Watching Nature

Wednesday, 6 March 2024

Frankenstein Face

 On Monday I had a very small Basal Cell Carcinoma removed from close to my right eye (the only one that works properly) and another on my left ear. So now I look as though I'd fit in quite well in the back alleys of the Cross. It was done under general anaesthetic at a cosmetic day surgery  because it was all so close to my eye. I won't be able to wear glasses for a while because I have a row of stitches on the bridge of my nose and it is all swollen anyway.

The skin coloured dressings are covering the lines of stitches that were created to pull a flap to close the 1.5 cm hole made by the surgery.

The bruising and swelling are getting worse and will continue to do so but according to the nurse that is to be expected and not to worry about it. It will all go.

I am amazed at the drip line insertion point on my left hand. I usually have a bit of a bruise from that but this time there is absolutely no mark at all. Not even a pin prick. I know it was there because I saw it and saw them take it out and had to hold the wad of cotton wool on while they taped it over. Amazing! 

I hope the face heals as well. This morning I have not taken a panadol but may need one later in the day. I don't like to take them just because. Nothing is sore but yesterday I had a little bit of a headache which the panadol covered. 

The worst problem is that I can't wear my glasses so my eyes get very tired trying to focus on things all the time. My reading glasses can sit on the end of my nose but block it so I can't breathe properly. 

Sleep is another issue because I can't lie on either side because of the stitches on my left ear and the stitches around my right eye. 

I am not allowed to do any exercise or bend down to do anything so am only using the top drawer of my dishwasher. No getting my head wet either.

Many thanks to Elaine who came to collect me from the surgery and stayed with me for the night. We watched a bit of TV and chatted about all sorts of stuff including, of course, patchwork.

Maybe at the end of all this I will still be recognisable as me although it is not nearly as bad to look at as I thought it would be! Until all is healed I'm stuck at home yet again - another lockdown! - but at least I can have visitors and phone calls and I can see enough to read an occasional email.

1 comment: