On Friday Kerrie and I headed for Underhill quite early this time. We were away at 8:30am. We stopped at Marulan for morning tea and I bought meat at the wonderful butcher, pies at the baker and also some lovely seedy bread that was still warm.
Our first job was to burn off all Kerrie's old tax papers but unfortunately the damp prunings from Geoff's last visit would just not catch. However, the papers did burn successfully. Luckily the stove did light and we were able to keep water on the boil for our cuppas and were able to have a hot dinner.
Towards the end of the afternoon we decided that as we could not burn off we would walk to the far dam and look for fungi on the way. We did find lots of interesting ones but I won't bore you with them all here.
At the far dam we found one of Geoff and Nathan's seedling trees still alive.
And there are still quite a few still alive in their little timber plantation. We probably found about 10 of them with something living to show.
We took down some timber from home and another container with dry pine cones as well. They make good fire starters but I would have had to use them all to keep the outside fire going. This container is all short pieces from home that I no longer need for my fireplace.
Because Kerrie and I were quite frustrated about burning off and came to a standstill sorting the scrap metal, we decided to head home early on Saturday and make a bit more progress on her quilt project. We have now finished the top and need to wait for Kerrie to buy some polar fleece for the back.
Kerrie left for home mid afternoon. The weather had been absolutely fabulous - fine, still and cold and perfect burning off weather. What a pity we failed. At least the quilt was a success.
Bugger the pile was damp.......
ReplyDeleteLove seeing the different fungi.......