Watching Nature

Saturday, 22 March 2025

Preparing for solar battery and heat pump

 Because we will soon be charged for solar power feed in to the grid I am preparing by getting a solar battery. To add to this form of solar storage I am also getting a heat pump to replace my old solar hot water system which is possibly about to die.

Quotes are in and now I have to prepare the places in my garden where they will go. For the battery this was not hard as it will fit on the external wall just near my meter board and other electrical stuff. 


Cathy who helped me with all this work has asked to have the little frangipani but we are leaving that in the ground for as long as possible so it is less likely to suffer transplant shock.

The heat pump is going along the side of the house outside the laundry as far along as it can go taking into consideration all the pipes both underground and along the wall.

There was a lot of Aspidistra (known as cast iron plant for a very good reason) that needed to be dug out completely. It can be seen at the end of the brick fence in this photo.


That is also where my lovely climbing Peace Rose is and a pretty white hydrangea. So Cathy and I were very careful not to disturb the roots of these two plants and I've now replanted the hydrangea in the hopes that it will grow in a new spot. We also had to move some huge rocks to get to Aspidistra roots under them.

After about 2 hours of very very heavy work the job was done but we are leaving it bare until I see if any of the Aspidistra re-shoots.




Now we just have to wait until the two installations are complete  to start reaping the benefits of my own night time power, hot water that does not travel from the roof until it reaches my shower, and the ability to sell my excess power to the grid when the price is highest.

Wish me luck!

Of course, the next day we both suffered extreme muscle pain.

1 comment:

  1. That was a big job, but you are wise to be future proofing now. I reckon the aspidistra will shoot again. They aren’t called the cast iron plant for nothing.

    ReplyDelete