Watching Nature

Friday, 28 March 2025

More digging and lower back work

 When Cathy came to garden with me yesterday we did a few sedate jobs and were pleased with our progress. The first one was to put the netting back on the recently cleared and planted garden - marigolds to deal with the nematodes, butter beans and some of Rauri's mini tomatoes.


We then cleared the high vege garden and filled a green bin with all the bits the chooks would not turn into compost. The larger tomatoes were just getting grubs and had grown all through the netting. It was a mess. We also harvested all the remaining finger limes and some parsley and tomatoes. Cathy also pruned a few chilli branches loaded with tiny chillies and took them home for Rob to cook with.


The next job was a major one. The tree on the fence on the right is a Feijoa. I don't like eating Feijoa but it will make a great sun screen for the low sun that blinds me as I walk into the chook yard each morning. I have been picking up the dropped Feijoa and just throwing them into the chooks. Geoff also had his native bees under the tree. Recently Geoff took his native bees to his new house which meant I could think again about this area.


I decided to realign the little chook fence so that I could walk in to collect the eggs and they could also walk in to eat the dropped fruit.


One of the biggest jobs was to remove all the Clivea that I had planted along the little fence on the path side knowing the chooks would not eat them.


We filled another green bin.

That was all done in our 3-hour time slot for gardening each Thursday. My next job is to erect a proper gate at the other end which needs to be opened for the mower to be wheeled into the grassed orchard. We have 2 weeks to do that or we'll have to keep lifting the little fences out of the way for the mower.

Many aches and pains later I'll take it easy today and keep myself correctly aligned.

1 comment:

  1. Everything is looking very ship shape. I can understand why you would ache.

    ReplyDelete