Watching Nature

Friday, 7 June 2024

No Chorus Oz for me this year

 I have been battling a cold this week and done a triple RAT, all of which were clearly negative. However, I am not at a stage of taking a decent singing breath without a coughing fit to follow. For this reason I must now withdraw from Chorus Oz this year.

This is very disappointing for me as it has been 20 years since Faure at the first Big Sing and I have taken part in every one that has run (notwithstanding Covid cancellations). I wear my coat each year with all the Tshirts attached and even attached Mahler 8 just a few weeks ago in readiness for this event.

I love being involved in Chorus Oz as it is such a joyous weekend. We pay our money but then gain entry to an amazing workshop/master class in a major musical work with fantastic musicians and the wonderful Brett who leads us through it all. Each of the works I have never sung completely before so I enjoy the 6 months of singing in the car with the singer on the practice tracks. By having the words on those tracks I am able to come to the big weekend and enjoy putting my alto part with all the other facets of the work. The little (and sometimes big) issues are ironed out during the 2-day workshops. Then, as if by magic (but actually with a lot of hard work) it comes together on Sunday evening and I am taken inside the music rather than just performing it. By Sunday evening it is less about learning or presenting music than about being immersed in it and I am happy to drown there.

But not this year!

It turns out that Nola who comes with me each year also has a cold but hers seems to be just a bit better than mine so she is still going.

1 comment:

  1. how disappointing..............hope you are feeling better quick...........

    ReplyDelete