Watching Nature

Tuesday, 31 January 2023

Weeds, Fun and Feral Pigs

 An overnight visit to Underhill last week presented to us a scene of head-high weeds, very little fruit set and lots of evidence of feral pigs. This is the first evidence of pigs on our block. I guess all the rain has allowed them to move freely through a wet landscape.

The forest of weeds

Greg, Ev and Coco came for the day.


Greg was a marvel and continued Geoff's beginning on brush cutting the weeds. There will be lots of burning off in winter.

A walk with Geoff and Ponyo presented tracks and other traces of feral pigs.




We also were disappointed by the fruit set. Our total harvest of plums was 12 small ones. I've stewed those and am eating them on my overnight oats. Unfortunately no plum jam this year.

There are some mangy looking apples so at least there could be mint jelly this year.

There are pears and a few quinces (if the birds leave any for us).

The butterflies were amazing and fluttered around in swarms. I was able to see one close up and Jen was busy taking video of them too.


The spiders are having fun trapping them in their webs that are usually invisible but in the early morning light can easily be seen.


We did lots more rubbish collecting, filling our cars for street clean ups and red bins back home.

A lot of fun with family and friends. Coco and Ponyo get on well and both enjoy being there. I was so pleased to have made the decision to drive down even though I did not have anyone to come in the car with me this time. I did lots of singing practice instead as I drove.


No comments:

Post a Comment