After the damp warm weather last week while my chooks were locked in while I was in Gerroa the chook mites took hold and I had to spend all yesterday firstly finding a shop with the right stuff in it then completely cleaning and spraying while the chooks were locked out. This was a job I could not ask anyone to share as, in the process, you get covered in chook mites. It was a really hot day and I had to wear a dust mask and hat which made me even hotter.
This would be OK if that is all it was, but I have quite a reaction to mite bites and they just love me. Surrey never had any reaction but I always get covered in very itchy bites even if it was him doing the chook work. So after lots of repellent applications and showers I think I might just about be done. I really hope so!
The chooks will survive but it will be a week or so before I stop itching. I'll have to treat the nests and roosts weekly for a while though. The damp summer is great for the garden but great for the mites as well. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.
My job this morning is to let my ladies lay their eggs then lock up the roost/nest area and make sure all the broodies are out and having lovely sand baths now that I have sprinkled powder on them. Then yet another shower for me and another load of washing of the clothes I wear whilst doing it.
Yesterday I washed all my bedding and clothes (about 4 loads) and sprayed and locked my bedroom for the whole day to make sure there were no mites lurking in there. They say mites can't live on humans but I would modify that to say that some humans react badly to them.
On a happier note... While I was away I put the base of Ellen's celery into a dish of water as I had heard that celery can regrow from a base. It now has new shoots and roots so can be planted in the veggie patch soon.


No comments:
Post a Comment