Watching Nature

Sunday, 31 January 2021

A wet trip to Underhill

Elaine and I left quite late last Friday for an overnight trip to Underhill. We both had lots on in the morning so left at about 2pm driving through rain most of the way. We arrived to green and rain and a lot of apples ripening on some of the trees. The grass and other ground cover had obviously done very well but much of it had burnt off in the heatwave last weekend.

We called into Cal on the way down and arrived in time to light the chimnea and cook dinner before heading to bed quite early. During the night we were both able to test the new step at the caravan door. It makes our trips to the toilet so much easier. The temperature overnight had been forecast for 12C and I had forgotten our sleeping bags. Fortunately with all the bedding we have stored there we were both able to stay quite comfortable during the night. It was great after a heatwave week to be able to sleep under blankets.

After I spent an hour lighting the fire with wet wood and anything dry I could find that would burn. Elaine and I set to tidying all the junk left lying around (I brought home a car full of rubbish) and straightening the carpets.



We then tackled the heap of "new" carpet and spread all the pieces over the floor of the "loungeroom". The corners are all anchored down with chairs in the hope that they will hold them in the wind so we don't have a wind-blown mess when we arrive next time.



In the process of tidying I found an amazing wasp nest under one of the random paint tins. Quite an old one I think.


Elaine cut and bagged a few thistles that had taken hold, one of which was quite large. 


When Geoff et al arrived we had morning tea - a birthday cake for Jen that Elaine had made.


Although we had missed all the apricots, youngberries and seedling plums we did find the new little Mariposa Plum (83) had a lovely crop. 


The Cox's Orange Pippin is covered in apples and we think they are still there because of the raptor bird scarer we have there. We can't think of any other reason the birds would not eat the lot.


As that worked so well for one tree we moved our owl bird scarer to the Mariposa Plum which is near the Golden Delicious Apple.


Geoff decided to open up the large apple tree behind the shed as the apples on it are never any good anyway. We can leave those apples for the birds and other animals. I hope they enjoy them and don't take our others.

Geoff was also able to use his new battery chainsaw to tidy up some of the trees threatening to fall across the drive.

The sun had come out around mid morning and the temperature was quite hot in the sun. We had long chats about the amount of "good junk" that was lying around and decided to fill the car with rubbish every time we returned to Sydney for the various rubbish options we have there.

We all returned home at about 2pm after a very pleasant time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment