Yesterday I decided to start digging out my chook shed and after doing 5 bags and retiring to the house for a drink I discovered that the fencing I had ordered from Bunnings had been delivered. So out again to deal with it.
First I had to use the bolt cutters to divide it in two lengthwise. This made 4 fences with roll tops tall enough to keep my chooks where they are allowed to dig and away from the lawn and veges in the far back yard. My current batch of silkies are real diggers unlike any I have had before. At least they won't get toe balls like previous ones have.
I positioned them all and anchored them with some metal tubing I had left from demolishing a cat cage some years ago. At the moment I have left the poles quite loose so that I can re-position the fence when eventually I get a new chook shed.
The chooks now have a lovely long run that directs them across the yard to the "paddock" beside the garage which is only a metre wide but a real weed garden. I am hoping these little workers deal with it for me.
Already they have cleared past the tank and have reached the bananas beyond that. Who knows how long it will take.
I have made one of the corner pieces of fence hinged so that I can open up the grassy area and vege patch for easy wheelbarrow and mower access without letting the chooks in. I really hope it all works.
Today I am slow and exhausted and refuse to do any gardening. Now I just have to wait until the green bin is emptied so I can fill it again with all the rubbish and clippings that would not go in my newly positioned compost bin. Yes it is upside down with a piece of weldmesh at the bottom to allow finer compost to fall through and be used. Will that work I wonder?





No comments:
Post a Comment