Today's Covid19 project is to set up my home to keep me moving as much as possible. With the current lockdown I don't go to the city, or even shopping or out to visit friends or share a meal. And then I've had Tai Chi and Pilates cancelled too. Of course I have gardening which is an active exercise anyway and gives me all sorts of movements from weight lifting (bricks and chook food) to squatting and getting up and down and reaching, but this is only a fine weather and daytime activity. And I can go for a walk at the moment but this might be banned soon too.
So to keep up my 10000+ step goal each day I need to think more creatively. There are so many opportunities to binge watch TV, Netflix, YouTube and even to take part in virtual choirs and quilting communities or to video chat with family and friends. All of these are sitting activities so here are some things I have set up so far to change this sitting to moving ...
My phones are all "mobile". Of course I have my mobile but also my landline has cordless handsets. So Rule #1 is - when the phone rings, pick it up and start walking, on the longest route I can create through the house, and keep walking until the call ends. A 20 minute call to a friend or family member gets me 2000 steps. So ring me for a chat.
I am doing a lot more watching of movies and TV and online videos. I really don't want to fill my loungeroom or study with a walking machine or some other sort of gym equipment. So Rule #2 is - when I am watching a "video" stand behind my chair (holding for balance if I need to) and march on the spot or even jog gently, I've even tried side stepping. Perhaps I could do star jumps? Again a 30 minute show gets me about 3000 steps.
There are lots of online videos to watch about patchwork so instead of watching them downstairs I take my laptop upstairs and watch up there. So Rule #3 is - to combine patchwork activities with watching patchwork online videos. While this does not get me directly achieving steps it does get me up and moving while I am doing some of my patchwork and I learn or am entertained at the same time.
Sometimes I find myself just waiting for ... the microwave to finish, the next show to start, the video call from the grandchildren for our next story reading so that leads to Rule #4 - when I am waiting for something, walk or jog gently around the house.
Of course there are lots of times during the day that I need to sit - typing, reading, video chatting - but now at least I have included some time moving and linked it with another activity so that it actually happens. By dinner time, if I have not found enough opportunities to get to 10000+ steps I invoke Rule #5 - walk or jog around the house until I have moved enough.
Anyone who know me will know about my penchant for rules and lists so have a laugh but work out your own ways to get going and move at home. Here is an article from The Conversation that might inspire.



No comments:
Post a Comment