Watching Nature

Wednesday, 11 March 2026

Clearing, Sorting, Chaos, Convalescence and Smashing

 In light of the sorting I am doing both at Mum's and at mine I have now donated some botanical items inherited from Surrey's grandfather E.G.Jacobs, also a botanist and teacher.

A vasculum used for collecting before plastic bags

Collecting books

A solid wooden plant press


Not so ancient plant presses which were inherited from Surrey's sister Janice.

Some of the botanical books, mostly of historical value.

These antiques will mostly go into the Royal Botanic Gardens archives.

On the chaos front, Geoff had a delivery driver reverse into one of the uprights of his carport which brought the corner down and his car was locked in for a week or so because he could not get it out. They were not even allowed to walk under it to the front door. I was able to lend them my car for the week although they did have Jen's car as well.



Following visits from insurance people the car port is propped up again and the car is out. 

One creative think I have finished over the last few weeks is to bind my hexies quilt. 

I have added a small peeper around the binding to better frame the quilt.


Meanwhile I have been travelling to and from Mum's and Desley's and War Memorial hospital and sleeping over in Mum's empty bed while I sort some of her things with Desley. It has been lovely working with Desley and she and Jack have fed me each day. After 3 or 4 weeks I was ready for Mum to move yesterday and stop worrying about where she was going.

Desley found a lovely room in Elizabeth Lodge overlooking Paddington and Rushcutters Bay. She will enjoy the views I'm sure. After her 2 months in hospital with pneumonia, UTI, covid then another unidentified infection I'm sure she will be pleased with a room that has a few of her own things in it.



Back on the home front, Cathy and I decided to smash an old double laundry tub in the back corner because we could not move it at all. We needed to get in behind it to dig out the bananas you can see heading for the neighbour's yard.


It was a very hot and humid day and we both ended up dripping with perspiration but the job is done. Now to wage war on the bananas. There is still a concrete plinth to smash up but we just did not have the time or energy on Thursday.

If anyone would like to get rid of their frustrations on a huge piece of concrete then by all means contact me to make a date.

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing. It is very draining doing all that sorting and being away from home. It’s nice for your mum to have her own things around. Makes it a bit more comfortable too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hexie quilt Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be a relief to have things under control with your mum. I hope she settles in well. Good on you for donating the historical items to the archive.

    ReplyDelete