Watching Nature

Saturday, 25 October 2025

Another drainage solution

 After our temporary fix a week ago Geoff and I agreed that we should bite the bullet and throw money at the problem (something we rarely do at Underhill).

I called into Cal on the way in and when he asked why I was down this time I told him about our drainage issues. He said he'd bring his big digger down and see what he could do before a load of gravel was delivered.


I drove down and easily manoeuvred over the temporary fix then Cal arrived with his giant.


First he cleared a few trees and a bit of scrub from near the front gate.


He then proceeded down the drive and pulled out the pipes and stuff we had laid. Then it was time for magic to happen with his digger. It was like watching Time Team.


This meant we had a lovely drain across the track which could be filled with drainage gravel (20mm).


I had ordered 2 tonne of 20mm gravel to be delivered this morning. It all worked wonderfully and the driver knew just how we wanted it.


Now I feel more able to drive down no matter what the weather and not end up bogged with no-one there to pull me out.

The other exciting thing this trip was that Geoff and family came with Ponyo and their new puppy Mei.


There was time for lessons. This one is called "SIT"



Time for play for the two "sisters"...



Then lots of time for sleep for both...


Lots of yellow orchids to be seen along the drive.


Pattersonia was in bloom...


and a tiny delicate fringe lily (Thysanotis?).


Sunrise this morning was stunning!

If you'd like to come down just let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Good job on the drainage. The dogs would have had a fabulous time down there. I love finding the delicate wildflowers popping up at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Betty.... Thysanotis, fringe Lilly. Grows wild here on our farm too.
    Great work draining Underhill driveway. 😊 Jeanette

    ReplyDelete