Watching Nature

Monday, 2 September 2024

Dinosaurs and other Saurs (5)

 Sunday 25 August 2024

I slept very soundly only getting up once.

Today we have nothing planned so while it is still cool (14C at 8am) we are heading out for a random walk.

We walked to the Musical Fence and back but I did a lot of it barefoot as I got a small blister on the way there and did not want it to get worse.




Back to the room to change shoes then off to the Lost Poet Cafe for morning tea. We also bought some lunch to eat back at our room.

A bit of reading then down to put on a load of washing and eat our lunch in the cooler beer garden.

I've already done my 10000 steps and it is only lunch time.

Once we hung out the washing we both had a nanna nap to prepare us for the evening out tonight!

Dinner was a meet and greet at the Winton Hotel and it was good to meet up with people who'd just finished a week of digging, others about to join us on our dig, and of course the staff who will be there guiding us.

Monday 26 August 2024

This morning we all met at the Bakery and left town in convoy. I went in Macca's (Mackenzie's) car and Dianne travelled with someone else.

After about 20km on the Hughenden Road we turned east and travelled about 60km across country arriving at our shearer's quarters accommodation in time for morning tea. I remember Les, our cook, from my last dig.

Bauhinia

Emu Apple

After the regulatory OHS talk we again headed out in convoy to the dig site and had more lessons on how to dig the various layers so as not to damage any specimens.


However, I chose to move over to the washing, sieving and sorting station with Judy Elliott and was able to spend time looking for fossils in the dirt and stones removed in the main dig site.





Lunch was delivered and afternoon tea as well. During the afternoon I stayed in the big top sorting and in all I found a bivalve which were a new find for the site and quite a few bits of bone.

At 5pm we packed up and headed back to our quarters. Because we were in the second car in the convoy we got back first (no gates to open). This meant we all got into the first showers - bliss!- and I am wearing my new frock again.



Time to watch the sunset and enjoy drinks before dinner which was roast lamb and veg - delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment