Watching Nature

Saturday, 19 August 2023

Kitchen reno #1 Pantry preparation

 Yesterday afternoon Berto arrived to start preparing the pantry for my kitchen reno. Unfortunately, because he was on his own he could not remove a shelving unit in the pantry so he could not complete the job until this morning when he was able to bring an offsider. However, progress has now been made...


My first job was to remove everything from the left hand wall and floor. I did this some weeks ago and in the process moved lots of things on to family, friends and Salvos. I was able to leave the nearest shelving unit in place but was able to move a lot of the food on its shelves to in the lounge room - oh goodie!


Yesterday's task was to remove the door that accessed the back verandah in the original house. Once we built on the back room and kids bedrooms it just stayed there and was never used. I had fun trying to find the key (which I did eventually) and, after a good spray with WD40 I was able to unlock it.


The shelves needed to be removed from the alcove it created in the bedroom behind.


Once the door was removed Berto could see the brickwork and cavity he had to deal with and we had a bit of creative discussion to allow me to have a wide enough space to create shelves again that would hold at least a paperback sized book.



A back has been added but the pantry side will be filled when the pantry is done later and the wall rendered. You won't even see where the door was and new shelves will be constructed along the whole pantry wall.


While this was all being done I was suitably distracted with the zoom quilting group I belong to. Chookyblue was holding an evening followed by a morning session. I got so much done in the 5 hours I was on.

This afternoon I was able to move all but the food onto the old shelving unit which is now temporarily in the bedroom.


The food will go onto the bookcases in the back room when the time comes. 

Until it is all finished no-one can sleep in that spare bedroom because it is crammed with stuff but I do have a spare bed upstairs and one and a half beds in the girl's room so can still have visitors.

A little bit more is accomplished and a little bit more mess has to be lived with!

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully things speed up ... Was great to see you on zoom.....

    ReplyDelete