Watching Nature

Wednesday, 18 May 2022

Lord Howe Island 2

 Tuesday 17 May 2022

We woke to a relatively fine morning after heavy rain all night. At last I was able to get internet on my laptop but not on my phone so was able to publish the first two days on my blog but without any pictures until I could get internet on my phone for the images to upload from the camera on the phone which is the one I am using. It is a great camera.

We headed down to the Coral Cafe at the Museum for breakfast again. This time they provided a buffet for us and there was everything you needed and the chef had even hidden a packet of GF cereal for Elaine and some gluten free bread.

Elaine and I then walked along the Foreshore walk to town (a tiny smattering of about 4 shops, a pub and a post office). I was able to buy a lovely Tshirt to replace some of the older ones at home that were getting quite grubby. We then walked along the Stevens Reserve Track to get home. It was a lovely, well kept walk and was so dark with tree cover compared to the sunny day outside the forest. 





We veered off this loop to take a short cut home which the Leanda Lei owner had told us about.

It was then time to gather for our glass bottomed boat trip over the coral. So we took the short cut again and completed the Stevens Reserve loop, tried to get some lunch but found only a banana. I really was not hungry enough for the huge rolls being sold at the bakery. I was even able to ring Mum for a few minutes before we boarded our boat. Elaine decided not to go as she was having gut issues, probably from the lack of understanding of gluten free among the local cafes and restaurants. At least the Coral Cafe seems to get it (we hope).










The trip out to the reef was fantastic and we did see lots of coral, algae and fish. Our guide had lived here all her life and had done an environmental science degree but really knew her marine environment too. Of course it was difficult to get good photos through the glass bottom which she even cleaned for us.

Back on shore we were bussed back home and hey presto! I got enough internet on my phone to upload photos to the cloud so I could use them on my blog. Hooray! Of course of the many photos I took I had to delete a lot of the coral ones as they were blurry or the fish I was trying to get had swum away and only the tail was visible.

Elaine and I went for a walk up 'Heartbreak Hill' to do the walk to Middle Beach. This was quite a dicey walk as it was littered with what look like mutton bird holes so in the dim lighting under the canopy in the late afternoon we had to be very careful of our footfall. However we did get to see the eastern ocean which is a constant background noise at our accommodation.





I had a bit of time chatting with Judy before we were bussed to the Golf Club for dinner, this time with the whole group. I met Kath from Nerandera. My dinner this time was the Maui Maui fish (a local catch of course).

Back home for short devotions together then off to bed where I had to wear a jumper to be warm enough to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment