Watching Nature

Wednesday, 17 March 2021

Quince Paste

Yesterday I made a batch of Quince Paste that actually worked.

I made this one in the slow cooker which meant much less stirring. It took about 8 hours and because I did it through daylight hours my solar covered the electricity use even though it was a very cloudy dull day.

I was inspired by Julie Goodwin with the slow cooker idea and also with draining the fruit before you blend it. I think this draining means it takes less time to evaporate all the water. Leaving the lid off the slow cooker also means evaporation happens more quickly.

It is quite a soft texture so could have been cooked longer but it holds it shape quite well when cut. I will wrap the pieces individually and freeze them ready for gifts or use.

I'm now contemplating how to make glace fruit? I use glace fruit in my Christmas cake and Australian glace fruit is impossible to come by now.

My next paste will be cherry guava and apple as I have both ready to preserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment