My main aim this weekend was to remove trip hazards, rubbish and fire hazards in and around the shed area. The first part to tackle was the Dog Yard where the deer had trampled all the Dewberry making it easier for us to prune and clean up.
Then we cleared the old dog yard and the rest of that area so that we can walk around more easily.
Part of the general cleanup was achieved by Elaine and Greg who cut up and bagged all the rotten hose from the far side of the berry yard. I now have this at home to go in my red bin as it fits. Greg took home a few bags too. This area is now much tidier with only irrigation pipes left to sort and store.
We walked down to the bottom corner along the fence line and it was pleasing to see it looking so clear and standing firm.
One interesting sight on the way back was to see how much black bark and burnt out stumps were still visible from the January 1978 fire that went through the whole area.
The dams have filled a little more but are still nowhere near as full as they can get. Some of the fruit trees and bamboos are showing evidence of regrowth but nothing from the Damson yet and some of the smaller trees are quite dead.
We heard a Peron's Tree Frog in one of the tank inlets and Evelyn took a photo of a beautiful dragonfly.
In the evening we piled into two cars and drove to Happy Hour at the Bungonia Hall. It was a social occasion and we were pleased to meet Les and Carol from #500, John and Roslyn (ex oyster farmers) from "Carrington", Pauline (one of the longer term residents), Terry and his wife from "#10" who are both firies, and of course Cal and Bud.
On Saturday morning Geoff and family arrived for morning tea. Geoff's job was to fell a few small trees for growing Shiitake mushrooms on at home.
As I was tidying around I saw Geoff's old coffee table base (welded stainless steel) not being used for anything and decided it would make a termite proof porch for the caravan so that I don't have to balance so precariously as I step down from the door. All I need now is a stable top for it.
A very busy time was had by all and I for one came home exhausted. It was good to see Underhill beginning to recover from the very severe drought.












No comments:
Post a Comment