After Mum died Ellen started searching nursing homes in Goulburn (where she lives) to move me to when the time comes. 



Then she and Geoff tried to convince me to go on an overseas holiday which I really don't want to do. Or a cruise - yuk! Then Ellen and I were sitting having dinner at home and she suggested buying a smaller house in Goulburn as I'd always wanted to live in the country as I had done in Mittagong, Grenfell and Bathurst. I'd really loved it but was trapped in the city with Surrey's work. I took one look around my house and saw the problems of moving. Then she said but you can probably afford to not have to sell the Sydney house to buy another one, especially in Goulburn. She also said that if I did so I should only take the things I really loved and leave the rest of the stuff in Sydney. Then my heart sang and my eyes lit up. I would still have my Sydney base, Ellen would still come up for work, I could downsize AND I could live in the country and just come up to Sydney when I felt like it or needed to. I could still keep up with most of my Sydney friends and activities if I want to.
After a call to my financial adviser and to test the waters Ellen booked me an Airbnb just near the cathedral for a week so that I could look around the town, churches, conservatorium, aquatic centre and gym, patchwork opportunities. I did that for nearly a week and loved it.
Ellen has been sussing out houses for sale and sending me links to them and we've have a few house inspections. Apart from that I have not seen her all week. Yesterday I even drove out to Underhill for an official weed inspection. The drive was only 30mins each way. So easy!
People have been very welcoming as I've attended a church service (and sung in the choir!) within 30 minutes of arriving in Goulburn; I've attended one of the three patchwork groups, sung with another choir at the conservatorium; walked to and from town many times to actually do shopping (something I never do in Sydney); achieved over 10000 steps each day; found out where all the services are; and collected various timetables for trains to Sydney and local bus services. I've taken the first step and even joined the library.
I loved my week there! But I have even considered other country cities with hospital, transport both within the city and to and from Sydney and even though Goulburn had the coldest temp in NSW last week (-7C) I do like it. I did go and buy some more thermals as I had not brought mine with me.
So I am looking for:
- a 2-3 bedroom free standing PRETTY house with sound roof and no termites
- not a fixer upper although small renovations would be acceptable to make it mine
- with 2 bathrooms (preferably one an ensuite)
- small yard but room for a veggie patch
- room for a quilting studio/office
So wish me luck in my venture and who knows where I will be led.
No comments:
Post a Comment