Watching Nature

Friday, 23 August 2024

Dinosaurs and other Saurs (3)

 Tuesday 20 August 2024

We ate our muesli and after packing left the hotel at a reasonable hour, arriving in Richmond by about 9:30am. We were coming all this way to see the Kronosaurus Korner museum and visitor centre.


Morning tea was followed by a walk through the museum of fossils. It was amazing, just as Surrey had promised years ago although certainly much updated since he last came through this way.



We took our time wandering through then had a lovely fresh sandwich at their cafe for lunch.

We decided to go to the caravan park and check in for our nanna nap. Such a quiet place!

After our short naps we walked along to the Cambridge Downs Heritage Centre which housed displays of old stuff from the area. It was lovely and cool inside but outside was 33C at 4pm!


Then, while Di walked down to the lake I retreated indoors to cool off again. Once the sun went down a bit lower I also ventured down to the lake where the temperature was even more bearable.


We eventually walked along to the Federal Palace Hotel, recommended for dinner. They served half meals and I enjoyed my crumbed prawns, chips and salad (very fresh and no rocket!).

A cooler walk back home and an easy evening watching the end of a movie - The December Boys - which I'll watch from the beginning on SBSOnDemand when I return home.


Wednesday 21 August 2024

I had an awful night too hot then worry about a message that was displaying in the car. We are therefore up reading manuals.

After we were sure we could get to Charters Towers at least, we left on our way east again.

We had a bit of a stretch break in a property drive then were going to visit the art gallery in Pentland for morning tea but they are closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays. So we drove down a side street and ate some of the food we had in our tucker bag and drank water for morning tea overlooking a small lake and cemetery.

Back on the road we enjoyed relatively light traffic. We passed signs to Lakeview and Powlathanga where Surrey's waterlily grows but were not able to see the lake itself as it is on private property.

On into Charters Towers where we found parking, bought an extra bag for Dianne at Lifeline, enjoyed lunch at the Stock Exchange cafe again, then headed home to the motel.

We spent time sorting the car then headed back to town to top up with fuel.

Dianne cleaned a few insects off the windscreen while I updated the diary.

We drove down to the Sovereign Hotel for dinner. My calamari was nothing to write home about and the salad was mostly rocket but it was all adequate.

Home for a bit of TV and sorting of bags before an early night.

With Dianne's new bag I've been able to put some of my things in her bag to spread the weight a bit.


Thursday 22 August 2024

Up a bit earlier this morning but as we can't leave before daylight (the roads are more dangerous with the wandering wildlife) we enjoyed a slow breakfast and pack-up.

The drive to Townsville started in a pea soup fog until we were over the Burdekin River.

As we neared Townsville I mistakenly pressed a button on my phone maps and the lovely lady gave us very clear directions.

At the airport we checked in the car then had morning tea until the Rex check-in opened.

The plane trip was good except for the last bit which was extremely bumpy. We were actually thrown from side to side and I almost bumped my head on the wall beside me. However, even though my phone was in flight mode I was able to follow our our route on Google maps. It was great to recognise places we'd been from the air.






At the airport we were collected by Irene, manager of the North Gregory Hotel and also daughter of David and Judy who run the dino digs. We were able to ask all the questions we had about meals and laundry for the next few days.

Our first activity was to share a huge chicken caesar salad for lunch and a long drink of ginger beer.

Then we found our room, sorted washing and while I monitored the washing Dianne went to the Information Centre to book a sunset rangelands tour for later in the week.

At 4:30 Gregory North gave a presentation on the history of the song "Waltzing Matilda". I'd seen him perform poetry when I was here on a CFT tour in 2017 when he came with us in the bus for a sunset drinks performance out of town somewhere.

Dinner was the house special - crumbed Red Emperor, chips and salad. Luckily we'd decided to share as it was a huge meal. I wore my new frock again!

Then back to the room to sort ourselves out and find out about eateries and tours for our 4-day wait until the dig starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment