Watching Nature

Tuesday, 30 August 2022

Garden and Glasses

 A lot has happened in my garden over the last few weeks. My banana harvest from the tree behind the garage was delicious but ripened so quickly that I had to dry at least half of them.


There is another bunch coming on Helen's side of the yard. That will only take a month or two before harvesting.


I have successfully covered all my veggie gardens to keep the birds off them but allow the insects in.


The asparagus has successfully transplanted and one of them is sprouting already. However, I am not allowed to pick any this spring as it needs a year to strengthen properly.



The first garden in the photo below is strawberries and cherry tomatoes, the second one is sweet potato and ginger and the third one has been planted with sunflowers, peas and beans.


Once my cataract replacement lenses settled in I was able to get some new glasses so now I can wear these all the time and see distance and read. I also got a free pair of reading glasses which I use when I am on the computer for long stretches.


Yesterday I made some tubes for my celery plants and I hope this means they will produce longer and juicier stalks. We'll see. I used pairs of old pots and cut the bases out of them to join them end to end.


This season's experiment is to try to grow luscious mint for mint jelly in some waterplant pots. Mint likes water and grows best under a leaking tap or in a boggy area. Unfortunately my sandy soil never meets its needs so I hope these pots without drainage holes in their bases might provide the bog it needs.
 

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment