Monday 28 February 2022
I woke at about 5am after a lovely long sleep that made up for the previous night. I had my shower early and was ready for the day as the train started to move at 6am.
At first light we passed a wind farm as we moved through hilly grazing land. We arrived in Junee at about 10:30am and were split into two groups - mine was bussed to visit the Junee Roundhouse Museum. It is a huge railway workshop and turntable that can house over 40 locos. Half of the area is for museum locos and carriages and the other half is for maintenance of active locos on the NSW lines.
| My bed |
The bus then took us all on to Coolamon to find our own lunch. We arrived at about the same time as the other half of the group who had come on the train to do a tour of the Cheese Factory which caused logistical problems for the cafe who seemed to be grossly unprepared for the onslaught. My lunch was a cheese plate so I could sample all their wares.
After lunch we had a few hours to wander the main street which seemed mostly second hand shops and knick-knack craft shops. I did find a set of peachy doileys and Judy bought me another one with violets on it.
Eventually we boarded the Ansett Clipper and drove slowly out of town while Judy led our short devotion and also caught up on the one we missed out on yesterday.
| Aurora Australis - our train |
Back on the train to coffee and cake and a sort and sit while we headed to our evening halt at Murrami.
Soon after we stabled the train huge black clouds started a series of evening storms. Judy, Joan, Anita and I were sitting in the lounge socialising when the barman Pat gave us the message that we could go to the earlier sitting of dinner because some people had not arrived. I enjoyed a yummy crispy skinned barramundi fillet followed by blackberry crumble.
After dinner was to be stargazing with a real astronomer but as the black clouds put paid to that I decided to retire for the evening as we were to be up very early in the morning.
Tuesday 1 March 2022
Up by 5:30am to dress and board the buses and watch the sunrise as we travelled.
Breakfast at the Piccolo Farm was held in their new tasting venue which is not quite finished but has been built using reclaimed materials from the area.
The meal itself was great and we were taken for a wander around the house garden, also beautiful. The stories behind the history of the family, farm and homestead were most entertaining.
Back on the buses. I was on the clipper and Michael, our driver, took us into Griffith via the lookout. Luckily the train paused while we were there and we were able to see the views.
In Griffith Annemarie, Judy and I had free time to wander around town trying to avoid the downpours as we dodged between shops and crossed the road in our zigzag stroll.
Of course we ate morning tea at Bortoldo's Bakery and I was even able to find a denim jacket I've wanted for ages at the Black Pepper shop.
A visit to the Information Centre saw more money spent on gifts.
We wandered along Bulla Lane to see the murals then paused again for lunch at the same bakery.
Back to the train station to board the clipper again to travel to the train at Yengo.
After a group photo we were able to board and were treated to a warm welcome and coffee from Julie, our cabin attendant.
We then had time on board to sort our wet clothes and shopping while travelling through to Temora for the night stop, all the way playing tag with the clipper and the dark rain clouds moving east. By the time we stabled the rain had certainly set in.
Dinner for me was lamb cutlets and rhubarb and pear crumble. However, these late dinners are not good for then going straight to bed. However, I am quite tired.

No comments:
Post a Comment