Watching Nature

Tuesday, 17 November 2020

CFT-Aurora Australis Golden West Rail Tour 6

 I woke without an alarm again at 5am and watched the dawn from my bedroom window.


Up to the lounge while we waited for breakfast and "The Rebels" (Lyn, Jenny, Ros, Joy and myself) had our last chance to chat together until we all went our separate ways home. 



We were all catered for individually for our trip home, some catching the suburban train at Katoomba but I chose our private bus as this would keep the Covid bubble intact until much closer to home. After stops at two mountain stations we then had a very quick drive to the airport via M7 then M5 where a few more got off to catch flights.

I then asked the driver (David) to drop me at a bus stop around Arncliffe before they went into Central Station for others. I ordered an Uber at the bus stop and it was there within 3 minutes. I was home and unpacking by 11:30am.

During the journey a little gift was left in our cabin each evening together with a sheet about the next day, what we would see and where we would be. I was delighted to arrange all the gifts and see the variety.


During the first few days of the trip I also finished the two doiley blocks I had taken with me. Sewing these produced a lot of interest amongst other quilting passengers so I was invited into other cabins to give what others called "mini masterclasses" in patchwork and quilting. It was lots of fun meeting others and discussing projects.

I wrote a poem of free verse towards the end of the trip to sum up some of my thoughts...

We boarded Aurora Australis

Once more to travel together

With friends from other adventures

We've had with FAT and CFT

Through all sorts of weather, past paddock and tree

All socially distanced were we.


Our meals were all so delicious

Our cabins so tiny and squishious

The corridors ziggy and zaggy

The doors so heavy and draggy.

And despite the length and the long walks to dinner

Aurora Australis is clearly a winner.


Sometimes things go amiss

The odd fall or even lateness

Waiting for trains on sidings

Or a loo that needs to be fixed

Causing shunting and moving and bumps in the night

And hotel beds, and breakfasts for some.


The time for chat and reflections

And off-train adventures with friends

Prompted us all to admire

All our staff who never tire;

Those who keep the trains moving and their travellers content

On rails that are used by so many.


So may we all be grateful

And through our ‘sighs and groanings’

Thank God for his goodness

For safety and wellness

And when we get home to our families and friends

Spread our joy of Aurora Australis.


So if anyone is out there thinking they'd like such a trip then visit Vintage Rail Travel or Christian Fellowship Tours to find out when the next one will run.




No comments:

Post a Comment