I suppose I’d better get dressed.
What will I wear today?
Who cares!
No-one will see me anyway!
My days are so busy, I have a plan
And a list as long as my arm.
I regularly change my activity
And cross off the things I have done.
But my soul sings out in alarm
Where are my friends?
Where is my voice?
My singing has all but stopped.
I’m still not dressed!
I’m supposed to be out in the garden.
It’s part of my plan every morning at 8
And it’s 9 already
And the chooks should be let out to scratch.
Yesterday I dressed
In good jeans!
And visited my daughter (for a cuppa)
We sat in the garage (it was raining)
With the door wide open and quilts over knees.
It was my first outing in 10 weeks
Such a joy to get in the car,
To have a reason to dress, and to meet.
Significant times have been celebrated,
(a birthday, Easter, Anzac Day, Mother’s Day)
All in isolation!
I’m well over 60 you see
And considered vulnerable at least.
Family came for picnics out back,
Or with doors and windows between us.
No cuddles or kisses from kids or grandkids
And distances kept as dictated.
My life is so full and busy
I haven’t got time to be bored.
How come I feel lonely and empty at times?
Why should I crave anything at all?
Why do the tears just flow?
Why do I cry out to God for a hug?
Nothing more, I’m content, just a hug!
He gives them to me! Ahh thank you.
Zoom and Duo, email, blogs, phones
Are the tools I use to weave
The threads that tie us together,
Into a quilt that keeps my community
From vanishing into thin air.
I’ve made lots of quilts!
I’ve added achievements to blogs
And watched those of others too.
With Netflix, YouTube and audio books
I spend my evenings through.
Zoom live pilates with my instructor,
Recorded Zoom church on Sunday,
Zoom church morning tea on Wednesdays,
Zoom patchwork group get togethers,
Duo calls with children and grandchildren,
All keep me together.
I’ve found some inspiring creations online
Two poems* that express
The feelings I have about lockdown,
To help me reflect and laugh.
I’m a glass half full kind of person
And am happy to be given the time
To do all those things I’ve needed to do.
I've sorted the garden, the chooks,
The files, the photos, the fabric, the rooms.
And created all sorts of things.
I’ve made lots of quilts!
I am grateful to those who are carers.
I grieve for those who are sick or have died.
I pray for those who have traumas to bear
And are unable to find their peace.
But it’s up to us to be happy or sad,
To immerse ourselves in joy or grief,
In the world we find ourselves
To care, to mourn, then to laugh.
This is not the way I planned it
But God has plans of his own.
To use my God-given talents for good
Is the only way I know.
So forward I go - to get dressed -
Looking ever onward with joy
To the days ahead,
To the day I can sing again,
To the hugs from my circle
Of family and friends,
And to a future wherever I’m needed
That is happy and full of joy,
Looking for the positive outcome
In the terrors of the unknown.
They call this “The New Normal”.
We plan, look for new paths to take.
Then make more plans,
embrace our community,
Recalibrate.
Until we come out the other end
Stay safe, stay sane.
Written by Betty Jacobs, 19 May 2020 after 10 weeks of Covid-19 Lockdown.
Published in "Vision", Winter Issue 2020, the quarterly magazine of St Stephens Church,
Macquarie St, Sydney
Published in "Vision", Winter Issue 2020, the quarterly magazine of St Stephens Church,
Macquarie St, Sydney
* Readings for inspiration
"In the time of Pandemic" - by Kitty O'Meara on her blog "The Daily Round" on 16 March 2020.
"Stuck Inside" - attributed to Jan Beaumont and found on the "Starts at 60" website.
Proverbs 19:21 "Many are the plans in the mind of a man,
but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand."
"In the time of Pandemic" - by Kitty O'Meara on her blog "The Daily Round" on 16 March 2020.
"Stuck Inside" - attributed to Jan Beaumont and found on the "Starts at 60" website.
Proverbs 19:21 "Many are the plans in the mind of a man,
but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand."

No comments:
Post a Comment