Watching Nature

Saturday, 23 May 2020

The new chook shed saga

Today was the day Rob and Cathy put aside to help me construct my new flat pack chook shed. First Rob had to sink the foundations a bit deeper and Cathy and I to fill the gaps with bits of rock and soil which took a while.




The instructions came as drawings only so sometimes there was a lot of discussion and explaining to do. While I had painted the pieces I had spent some time examining the tiny drawings to work out which surfaces needed to be painted so I sort of knew how the jigsaw puzzle needed to be put together.

It took me a few days earlier in the week to paint all the surfaces that I would not be able to reach easily and the surfaces that were to be screwed together. I ran out of brown paint (using my leftover 2 cans) and then ran out of time using Geoff's leftover grey paint. I think I'll just have to buy more brown paint to finish all the unpainted surfaces.


The roosting box was the first task and we were able to do it out from the fence where we had more room to manoeuvre.


After we put the roosting box together, we constructed the nesting section ready for the side of the shed. Then came the job of inserting it.


I must say we really needed three of us for parts of the job and definitely needed Rob's height and even a ladder for some of the roof sections. Bits had to be held into position by Cathy and I while Rob screwed them together and I even used the drill occasionally!



There was some discussion about how we could attach the back finial once the shed was back in its place so we had to lift the shed forward a little but decided it was probably best to leave a bit of a squeeze space between the back fence and the shed anyway.


Once we had moved the back half into place we were able to attach the back roof and the front mesh walls and door.


This left all the fiddly little jobs like attaching the ramp and roosting sticks and changing a few of the bolts to make opening and closing doors a little smoother once the whole shed was forced into square.


We made a great team of three and mostly kept our social distancing but I am really pleased with the finished product.


It only rained a little while we were working and then to top off a 6 hour day of work Rob's car would not start so they both had to walk home to get the jumper leads and another car before work was over for the day.

Once it is fine and the gaps at ground level are filled I'll take a photo of the finished shed and post it for all to see. I need to set up the waterer before I can put the chooks in it but once I get appropriate sized hosing I'll be able to do that easily. Perhaps I'll see if I can even get them a new waterer soon as a treat as all my old ones are a little the worse for wear and could crack at any time.

Next Rob job (apart from my mowing every four weeks) is to demolish the now defunct end of the old chook shed which can be seen here in the corner of the yard just beside the new one.

Thank you Rob and Cathy for a job well done and a day full of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment