Watching Nature

Tuesday, 6 October 2026

Reflecting on September and now October

 Trying to find the Quiet Earth and Small Things actually kept me going through what was a very busy and stressful month of sorting and searching for a pretty little house close to services and facilities. It might end one day but at the moment it is fun dreaming.

September ended with a water catastrophe in the upstairs bathroom. Now I have another space for some creative design...


October school holidays meant I had the girls for a 2 night sleep over. We had a city adventure. We started by catching the train to Sydenham then the Metro to Barangaroo (a station I had not been to). Then we walked to the park there and had a picnic morning tea which we had prepared for before leaving home. Yes, I had a backpack with picnic and picnic rug to carry.

Back on the Metro we went to Gadigal station and of course a compulsory visit to Kinokunya book shop. Then, not finding the food shop that Ivy had been looking for we walked up to Hyde Park (buying a coffee for me on the way) and had a lunch picnic, shooing off the bin chickens who were quite persistent.

Next was a walk down Philip St to the Museum of Sydney where there were some great kids activities. Some video games about being an archaeologist then some reproduction artefacts to piece together, just like archaeologists do. Success was difficult but achieved by each of us, sometimes needing some extra hands.





Another walk took us to St Stephens where we were to stay for the Big Band Jazz night but unfortunately we were all so tired after such a day we decided to make our way home after saying hi to Alec and hearing a little of the rehearsal.

At last my Custard Apple tree has fruited (albeit a very small sample). Unfortunately the fruit had dropped and ants had started on it so I needed to open it. It was a bit green but fully formed and perhaps the next years might be better.


Then last weekend, which was a long weekend, I had a fun time dog sitting Mei who is just over 1 year old. This time I was brave enough to bring her into the lounge room so I could watch TV (first time adventure for us both).


Most of the time she was extremely well behaved.


But, as anyone with kids will know, if there is silence in the house something is wrong. When I investigated this session of silence it turned out that only one of us was watching TV. The other one was disciplining a toilet roll stolen from the bathroom.

Last night Mei went home. After a sound sleep and making plenty of noise when I had to get up to the bathroom rather than avoiding the squeeking floor so as not to wake Mei, I am ready to face this next week.

What will the week bring? Who knows. But whatever it brings it will be right for me.

1 comment: