In the process of clearing out Mum's unit when she was eventually transferred to a nursing home a month or so ago, I inherited a lovely oak wardrobe that Dad had added shelves to. Mum used it as a linen cupboard. Unfortunately the only place it would fit is behind the front door. While away travelling I was able to buy a door stop to make sure the lock on my front door does not damage the cupboard when the front door is opened. There is a lovely slot for some of my tramping sticks, a shepherd's crook and my picker-upper at the side of the cupboard but I have not filled the hidden slot on the other side.
I knew what this cupboard would be used for. All the empty jam jars that I had stashed in various places, including the garage, under various cupboards, under the stairs etc, are now all neatly sorted and stored ready to use. Now I can see just what I do and do not have. Unfortunately the door of the cupboard opens the wrong way but I'll live with that.
Ha! Now I can make jam! My first batch was some plum jam and although it is only lightly set, it tastes fabulous. These plums came from Underhill in summer. There are still a lot of other fruits prepped and ready to go in the freezer.
The big job in my veggie patch has been to carefully dig out all the onion weed. Each garden had it's fair share but this is where I had planted leek and garlic some years back so I never knew what this was until it started flowering a month or so ago. Cathy and I carefully lifted all the onion weed and put it in the green bin then lifted the Dichondra and planted it where I needed ground cover. I am going to have to watch that any onion weed transported with it is quickly dealt with.
My latest blocks using Surrey's shirts are now all constructed and ready to sew together. However, first I must finish my rainbow quilt for our group because I think the next lot of strips will be distributed at our June gathering.
You've been very busy! The shirt quilt layout looks terrific - the two yellowish shirts really make the quilt. Karen
ReplyDeleteWhat a perfect use for the cupboard. Shallow shelves are just what you want. Onion weed is such a curse and so hard to eradicate. I hope you did well. Loving your latest quilt blocks.
ReplyDelete