On Monday, after Geoff had taken the trampoline to his place on Sunday, Cathy and Rob came to mow but also armed themselves with chainsaw and other cutting tools.
I had 3 trees to remove completely...
The Morello Cherry at the back door has never produced a cherry for me in perhaps 40 years since we planted it. It does provide a bit of shade but of late had become very diseased and sick providing less and less shade. It was time for it to go.
The tea tree near the carport suffers terribly from cutworm and is just a skeleton most of the year. So it was time to go for that one too. I discovered that this one has smooth leaves whereas the ones that are not affected have hairy leaves.
I have been man-pruning my lemon tree for some years now and this made it grow more strongly but it is quite diseased and the lemons are covered in citrus canker. It also has tough thorns about 2cm long which really hurt when you get pricked by them in the pruning or harvesting process. This tree had to go so I picked all the lemons and am gradually using those or giving them away. I have planted a new one (not near this one) to replace my lemon supply.
So after Rob did a tour of the work to do and Cathy and I made the trees accessible, he went to work. The results were wonderful.
I now hope the frangipani I planted a while back grows well to shade the back corner of the house.
After the lawns were then mown the area where the trampoline was can now grow back properly when the weather warms up...
The little citrus orchard and vegetable gardens can thrive...
And Nathan gets the logs of cherry and lemon to try some green wood carving. Both should be excellent and fine grained for this process. These are the cherry logs...
However, within a few hours of all this work being finished, two green bins filled, and stockpiles of at least a month's worth of green bin material, a truck drove under our council street tree and knocked rather large bits off it!
I have now contacted the council and asked them to come and collect their rubbish. I hope it goes soon.
Update just 4 hours later... the council has collected it already.
wonderful to get rid of the trees........
ReplyDelete