Watching Nature

Monday, 7 November 2022

I Believe

 This is a quilt to illustrate a song I learned for an audition when I was about 16. I had to sing two songs but after the first one I was so nervous I did not sing this one.

Since then I have loved it but could never remember the lines in the order they came in.

When I was asked to sing it in Norway and failed yet again to remember the order of the lines I decided that, as a visual learner, I should create a quilt so sketched it on a serviette so that I would remember to do it.


The final result was nothing like this sketch but the idea was there.

I Believe - to listen to the song click here


I had most of the fabrics in my stash from various trips and gifts from friends. Some of them Surrey bought for me too.

I bought the rainy sky fabric in Vermont, USA and the flowers in Kendal, UK

Surrey bought the grass on a dark night fabric.

I bought the forests in Canada and the New England District of USA for a 'fall' quilt I was making at a retreat in Massachusetts with Marion, the footstep fabric is from Stephanie.

The ocean and sky fabrics were left overs from another project and were probably from Stephanie.

The aboriginal print was created by an artist in the NT and I bought it in Darwin. The choir fabric was given to me by Nola who sang with me each year in Chorus Oz (Sydney Philharmonia Choirs).

The doileys came from Carolyn and Graham and the lace from Cathy when I was making my Doiley Quilts. The wall fabric I bought in Vermont at a sale of fabrics damaged by a flood.

The screen print fabric was created by a first nations lady who I met in Ngukurr east of Kathrine in the Northern Territory. She even showed me the tree she drew.

The Northern Lights were inspired by my trip to Norway.

The background fabric for this block was given to me by Stephanie.

Such a lot of beautiful fabrics and wonderful memories are stitched into this wall hanging. Now I just need somewhere to hang it.



No comments:

Post a Comment